Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thing 11


Okay, Flickr seems pretty cool. There are a ton of pictures, some of which I have to admit I am thinking why did someone post that? On the positive side there is a lot of really talented photographers out there. I especially like how you can search using Creative Commons.

I decided to look for pictures about tornadoes since my 4th graders have a unit on storms and specifically a fiction story about two kids hiding in a storm cellar during a tornado. It was very easy to find pictures. however, in trying to look for pictures of Texas tornadoes I was not as lucky. I was able though to find some really cool pictures. I have included one for you. i have not included it but I was even to find an old storm cellar that I will use next time we read the story.

I really like the idea about using Flickr for vocabulary by Teacher Dude. I would have to modify the lesson somewhat but I may use this for my ESL kids. I also like to idea of taking pictures and creating works of fiction as in Doorbells of Florence.

I see how this could be a great tool to let out students learn about. However, we need to shoe them how to use this education so that they do more than look for goofy pictures.

My picture is Tornado and lightning by by tlindenbaum and you can find it at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindenbaum/328304747/

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment